2013年2月3日 星期日

Time

Sometimes I find it frustrating that we know the locus of control is in our hands but somehow at the end of the day, feel as if everything that happened was not of my own doing at all, but rather, a gradual development of circumstances beyond my control. All this constant sprinting after the fingers of the clock is rather consuming, because I allow time to control my life, every aspect of it. I've always thought about the possibility of distorting time to my own pace, creating a pseudo reality only seen in movies whereby all actions are in slow motion and it takes an hour for an eyebrow to twitch. If I could do that, then there'd be plenty of time to immerse in reverie, plunge into my passions and take a rest.

It's impossible.

But then again, not so. Who was the person that defined what " time" was? No one ever proved that the concept of time is real anyway. I think that time is something personal, really. Something that is at our mercy, and we can control the pace of time, how fast it runs and what it signifies. It's all our decisions. The hour and second pointers are just oars of the boat- we are the batteries that provide the essential energy to move it.

Our decisions define time. Of course, it's easier to place the blame on time, to view it as an external, uncontrollable factor that dictates our lives. No worries though, about that view of time, since humans generally are at the mercy of the universally defined time- it can delude us from many truths, such as the reality that the joystick to life is in our hands. The conventional time prompts us to forget that, but instead see time as the person in charge. I myself often fall into the trap, but feel horribly guilty whenever I use " no time" as an excuse. Just like what our moms always remind us, " no time" is just an excuse. A very easy an tempting excuse to use.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

Since the huge burden of deciding our lives and structuring time is left to us, sometimes I suppose we just duck from that responsibility and allow things to go on as it is, giving an opportunity for the golden excuse of "no time" to dominate. Nothing wrong there of course, since superman has to rest too. We are not perfect beings, we can't go on forever.

But I'll try to master the skills of distorting time to my preferences. If it's even possible.

沒有留言: