I expected more of the movie. Something more in-depth, intense, rather then just a flow of the plot telling the story only at its surface. Of course, I h aven't finished the book yet but up until where i've devoured, the characters had more soul and color to them then shown in the movie. This is one obstacle that book-turned-movies have to face typically, the translation of humans' character and emotions from words into real-life action without long-winded narratives. Jack Nicholson as McMurphy was undeniably interesting and fun to watch, but somehow I just couldn't catch the motives behind him, his thoughts and why he was who he was. Maybe it takes a more observant eye to pick that up, but I certainly couldn't feel anything. It was as if he were doing it just for the sake of it( most probably, yes) but if I had no prior knowledge about the disorder he suffered from, the whole movie would be just of
The power of writing. When you write things down, you will be able to suddenly see things from a different perspective. For me, at least. I always end up being sceptical of whatever I'm thinking or writing once I put my pen down to it. A writer's block in my context would be the doubting of my stand. Maybe that's the point of the movie, isn't it? It isn't so much about the psychological disorders, not about him, not about the reasons behind his actions. That's probably why they didn't even properly state him as a mental disorder patient, nor mention his illness, or reveal his past. Maybe it's more on the rebellion against the system, to stand up against oppression and be jolted from our induced daze resulted from the urge to avoid confrontation, problems and fears. Sometimes we get so caught up in our roles or given roles that we forget who we are, we start living the character that is expected of us. Sooner or later, we begin to lose our confidence, however much the system or authority is bringing pain and anguish to us, we believe that there is no use fighting back. Or rather, we can't. Because we're born this way, because they're only trying to help us! These sadistic methods they're employing may be detrimental to us but it's for our good, for our good.
Then someone like McMurphy comes and remind everyone that they're normal, they're okay, they can decide their future, their problems can be solved.
At least, we tried. Even if it doesn't work, at least, we tried.
That was the most memorable sentence uttered by Jack's character in the movie. The part where he tried to convince the other patients that he aws able to lift this huge and heavy water basin from the floor and asked persuaded them to place bets on him. The outcome was definitely unpredictable, for my ever-so-typical mind was expecting him to be able to carry out the task he was so confident of. But he didn't. He tried, got all bloated up in his face, he tried, but he still failed. After several attempts, he walks away from the crowd, and says :" Well, at least I tried." Such an ordinary phrase but holds deep meanings. To me, at least. :D
I should try, try, and try again. You never know how things are going to be, nor are we sure about ourselves, every aspect of ourself. So it wouldn't hurt to do what we want, what we think is right, and live our lives the way we want it, right? Or more importantly, to go after our dreams, may it be not my strenght, may it be that the future seems umpromising, may it be that it will be a road of pits and holes.
At least, I tried, at least, I tasted the joy and satisfaction even if it only lasted a split second.


沒有留言:
張貼留言