2013年1月2日 星期三

Lessons from the innocent






The Karate Kid
It is undeniably just a film for entertainment, pure entertainment. I actually cringed from the amount of violence shown in the movie, especially of those children beating up each other accompanied by the exaggerated " thump" and " bam" sound effects. I'm surprised that no bones nor lives were lost from the level of damage supposedly imposed by those kicks. They certainly do SOUND lethal.

Are we really suppose to believe such a martial art competition is allowed whereby children fight each other on stone hard floors, breaking their soft bones?

My oh my.

Violent as it was, it was still a thrilling watch. Action movies starring Jackie Chan always promise a good fight scene- the choreography is awesome. I don't normally like watching fists and legs swinging about, but Jackie Chan can be my sole exception. Another redeeming point was that the story does involve some useful values in life. I was particularly taken by the scene when Dre was lying injured, pleading Mr Han to heal him so he can go out to the arena again.

" It's because I'm still afraid. I want to walk out of here today not being scared anymore!"

The originally reluctant Mr Han relented to the boy's wishes, moved by his determination. I suppose this scene reminded me of Charlie in Perks of being a wallflower, in the scene where he ventured into the middle of the dance floor to join Sam and Patrick. That's the spirit I'm trying to emulate currently, I suppose. The courage to face my fears, plunge myself into that field that fills me with uncertainty and fear. I will participate, and will not give up until all traces of fear are removed.

Aw yeah!

New year resolution!

沒有留言: